Friday, May 11, 2012

Can I haz cookie?

Anyone who has been on the road to weight loss knows what its like to go without ones favorite foods and snacks... But calorie counting really shows you how much crap is in the foods you eat. The calories in a glass of wine alone nearly made me cry! I'm a wine girl, specifically pinot grigio. And don't even get me started on desserts! I have a -major- sweet tooth. I've been experimenting with recipes of late and I'd like to share one for banana muffins. First I'll update my progress. 

This morning I weighed in at 151.6lbs. That seems like such a large number to me still. I am 5' 8" though so its not so bad. As of Wednesday I have lost another 1" off my waist, 1/4" off my hips, 3/4" off my bust, 1/4" off my thighs, and I've gained 3/4" in my arms. I've been doing a lot of weights and my arms are getting really toned. I'm not used to seeing so much muscle definition so that's kind of weird... I keep thinking about how I'm going to need a lot of new clothes soon. I have equal measures of dread and excitement about that. 

Tomorrow (5/12), Mr. F. and I are going to the American Le Mans race at Laguna Seca in Monterey. I'm pretty excited about that. Its a track full of hills and hiking and usually we're both so out of shape. I'm really hoping it will be an easier day especially since we're lugging around camera gear, chairs, and a cooler. 

And now for those muffins.

Banana Muffins
Yield: About 18

1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. sugar substitute (i.e. Splenda)
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg whites
3 mashed bananas
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cups or grease the pan. Mash the bananas in the bowl you'll use for the wet ingredients.

2. In one bowl, mix the dry ingredients. All of the flour, sugar sub., baking powder and soda, and spices. In a separate bowl, mix the we ingredients. The vanilla, egg whites, bananas, and apple sauce. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until blended. As this is a fairly small recipe I mixed it by hand with a whisk.

3. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups/pan, about half full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool before eating.

I did notice the muffins were very stuck to the paper liners when they were still warm. When they cool completely they peel right off. Enjoy!  




Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 44 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
87
Calories from Fat 
2
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
0.2g
0%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
78mg
3%
Total Carbohydrates 
18.5g
6%
Dietary Fiber 
1.0g
4%
Sugars 
8.2g
Protein 
1.7g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 3%
Calcium 2%Iron 3%
Nutrition Grade C
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet


Nutritional facts were calculated here.

**I am not a nutritionist, fitness expert, or doctor. These are my own experiences I've shared and are NOT a substitute for professional advice. Please consult your physician before beginning a diet or exercise routine. **

No comments:

Ę